Popular Scholarships For Indian Students to Study in Canada
Canada is a leading education hub to study abroad. The country holds a phenomenal education system with exceptional study benefits. Though Canada is a relatively cheap option than other eminent study abroad destinations, still managing the expenses to Study in Canada can be difficult for Indian students.
To ease the monetary distresses, the country offers several scholarships to enable Indian students to study in Canada. The blog aims to present you with a list of scholarships in Canada that you can leverage as an Indian student. Let’s understand a bit about the eligibility criteria to apply for Scholarships to Study in Canada first.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for Scholarships to Study in Canada
Most scholarships to study in Canada demand a good academic score. Hence, the students holding remarkable academic scores are more likely to obtain great Scholarships to Study in Canada.
Some scholarships to Study in Canada can be attained only if the students hold sound English language skills. Hence, the students with remarkable English language proficiency have more scholarship options than the ones with poor language skills.
In some cases, the extracurricular record of the students plays an important role in the attainment of the scholarship. Hence, the students with appreciable extracurricular performance have higher chances to gain many additional Scholarships to Study in Canada.
Scholarships For Indian Students To Study In Canada
Several different scholarships are available for Indian students aspiring to study in Canada. These scholarships are sponsored by the Canadian government, universities, and other public and private organizations. Below is given the list of a few most popular scholarships enabling Indian Students to Study in Canada.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) is granted to students admitted to publicly assisted universities in Ontario. This is a merit-based scholarship given to the students willing to pursue a master’s degree from Canada. The students must meet the desired set of eligibility criteria to take Advantage of The Scholarship which says-
- The student must be admitted to a full-time graduate program in a recognized Canadian school.
- The student must have a valid study permit.
- The student must be admitted to a participating institution with OGS.
The document required to apply for Ontario Graduate Scholarship to Study in Canada include
- Academic records (mark sheets and certificates).
- Research experience.
- Study plan.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are granted to students wishing to pursue a health research, natural sciences, engineering research, or social sciences and humanities research program from a Canadian school. The fund value of the scholarship is $50,000 per year. The eligibility criteria to leverage the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships include
- The student must be admitted to health research, natural sciences, engineering research or social sciences, and humanities research program.
- The student must be nominated to leverage the scholarship.
- The student must be undergoing a doctoral degree for the first time.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship
The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship is offered to students seeking to pursue undergraduate programs from the University of Toronto. The university offers 37 scholarships under this category to financially support international students to Study in Canada. The eligibility criteria to get these scholarships include
- The student must have excellent academic records.
- The student must have leadership skills.
- The student must be creative and intellectual.
The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship need not be applied independently. The students who apply for enrolment for an undergraduate program at the University of Toronto and hold remarkable academic records are considered for the scholarship by default.
University British Columbia (UBC) International Student Scholarship
UBC International Student Scholarship can be applied by the international students looking to pursue an undergraduate program from the University of British Columbia (UBC). The eligibility criteria to gain the University British Columbia International Student Scholarship says
- The student must be admitted to an undergraduate program at the University of British Columbia.
- The student must have a sound extracurricular record.
- The student must be academically strong.
A separate application is not required to get the scholarship. The scholarship is automatically granted to the students willing to pursue an undergraduate degree from the UBC if they deserve the same.
IDRC Research Awards
IDRC Research Awards are given to students belonging to developing countries and are admitted to a recognized university or institute in Canada. The scholarship is sponsored by the university or institute in which the student is admitted.
Eligibility criteria to get IDRC Research Awards
- The student must be a foreign national.
- The student must be admitted to a master’s or doctoral-level research program in a recognized Canadian school or university.
- The student must be a resident of the IDRC Research Awards participating country like India.
The scholarship can be applied by filling the application form available on the IDRC Research Award website.
Scholarships to Study in Canada – Some More Options
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship (government scholarship)
- Canadian Studies Post-Doctoral Fellowship (government scholarship)
- Partnership Grants by Social Science and Humanities Research Council in Canada (government scholarship)
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship (government scholarship)
- Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship (government scholarship)
- Anne Vallee Ecological Fund (non-government scholarship)
- Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships (non-government scholarship)
- Canada Memorial Scholarship (non-government scholarship)
Canada is a sought-after study abroad destination for Indian students. The high-class degrees and amazing lifestyle bound many Indian students to study in Canada. A tremendous number of Indian students try to get a Canada Student Visa and study in Canada every year, however, due to financial reasons, not all students achieve their aspiration of study in Canada despite being talented and intellectual. The Scholarships to Study in Canada serve as a great relief in the situation.
Upcoming Intakes to Study in Canada 2022
Your plan to Study in Canada can be successful only if you make the application at the right time. Ca...
12 Top Reasons to Study Master’s Abroad
Pursuing masters after graduation is an outstanding decision not only to improve knowledge but to str...