Student Visa

Latest Changes In Canada Student Visa

Dec 12,2023

Latest Changes In Canada Student Visa

In Canada, there’s some noteworthy news for international students gearing up for their studies. Changes are on the horizon, set to kick in from January 1, 2024, as shared by the immigration minister of Canada Mr Marc Miller. Let’s break it down:

1) Change in GIC Amount 

Until now, international students eyeing a Canadian visa had to pay 6,20,000 Indian Rupees annually (equivalent to 10,000 Canadian dollars) in a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) at a bank. However, with the latest change, the amount is doubling. Students are now required to park 12,66,000 Indian Rupees (20,635 Canadian dollars) each year. There are certain reasons responsible for this significant raise. Such as,

  • One of the major reasons is to prevent the possible vulnerability and exploitation of international students. In recent times the increasing cost of living has forced students to work to survive. The change makes them independent and helps them be independent.
  • Secondly, since the year 2000, the GIC amount has been unchanged and meanwhile, as with the increasing inflation government does not have any other option than raising the GIC amount.

2) Extension of Working Hours

Those international students, including Indian students, who feel the Canadian calling and manage to get their student visa applications in before December 7, 2023, will have an additional advantage. Instead of the current cap of 20 hours per week for off-campus work, they’ll be permitted to work full-time starting April 30, 2024.

3) Post-Graduate Work Permit

The Canadian government has taken a measure due to the Wuhan COVID-19 virus. The authorities granted an 18-month post-graduate work permit for 2021, 2022, and 2023. But now to extend the permit students are required to take the given below steps.

  • Students must hold a valid study permit.
  • Students must be studying full-time at a designated learning institution;
  • During studying students must have to remain in satisfactory academic standing as determined by their institution;
  • In addition, students must have their academic, vocational or professional training program at least for six months or higher in duration which leads to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • Last but not least, students must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

    Contact Us


    Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know the news.

    Latest Posts

    Video Button Book Online
    Video Counselling