Student Visa

Staying in Canada: Options for International Students

Jun 03,2024

Staying in Canada

Feeling stressed about extending your stay in Canada after graduation? 

This article explores three common pathways:

Extend your student status:

  • Enroll in a new program to lengthen your study permit and potential PGWP (post-graduation work permit).
  • Consider a Master’s program for additional points towards permanent residency (PR).
  • Apply for an extension at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

Switch from PGWP back to student: (for students with expiring PGWPs)

  • Pursue a new program relevant to in-demand occupations or boosting your PR score.
  • Remember, you can’t claim a PGWP again after this switch.

Visitor visa: (limited option)

  • Obtain a visitor visa for up to 6 months’ stay with extensions possible.
  • Be aware: visitors cannot work legally and work experience won’t count towards PR.

Important Considerations:

  • Choose strategically: Align your chosen path with your permanent residency goals.
  • PGWP updates: Stay informed about the latest PGWP eligibility requirements.
  • Closed work permits: Obtaining a job offer with a positive LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) can be challenging.
  • Visitor visa limitations: Working as a visitor is illegal and won’t contribute to PR applications.
  • U.S. visa workaround: Exiting and re-entering Canada with a U.S. visa is a legal but temporary solution.


  • Plan ahead to maximize your chances of permanent residency.
  • Keep up-to-date with Canadian immigration news through resources like INC (Immigration News Canada).

Considering these options can help you make informed decisions about extending your stay in Canada!

Contact Us: +918866880707

    Contact Us


    Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know the news.

    Latest Posts

    Video Button Book Online
    Video Counselling