Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) Canada is a route to permanent residency in Canada planned for skilled trade workers from foreign countries. On January 2, 2013, the program was initiated with the purpose of providing a specialized pathway to trade workers seeking to gain Canada PR. Aspirants who are skilled in trades outlined by the Canadian government are allowed to apply under the program.
Canada Express Entry manages the Federal Skilled Trades Program, which is one of the swiftest ways to obtain permanent residency in Canada. Federal Skilled Trades, like all Express Entry programs, uses the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to compare candidates and send Canada PR invitations to the most deserving candidates. This program is not open for Quebec province.
Need for FSTP Canada
Canada needs skilled trade workers to keep its economy strong. To meet this demand, the country allows foreign tradespeople from a range of important trades to come to Canada via the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and contribute in its economic growth.
FSTP Canada Eligibility Criteria
- Excellent command of the English or French language.
- Working experience in a skilled trade for at least two years or similar part-time work experience in the last five years is required. Work experience must be for a paid position.
- Certificate of Qualification or job offer from a minimum of two Canadian employers and must be valid for at least a year.
- Sufficient funds to settle in Canada.
- Good health conditions.
- The person must be able to prove skills and experience in the underlying trade.
- Scorecard of a language proficiency test. The scorecard must be valid on the day the application is submitted.
- Documents of identification. A valid passport and other relevant documents are required.
- Certificate of police clearance.
- Evidence of skilled trades experience.
- Evidence of funds but not always. There is no need to show proof of funds if you have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, for example.
- The amount of money you need to show is determined by the size of your family. The table below gives a general idea.
|No. of members||Approximate cost (in CAD)|
|7+ (for each family member added)||$3,560|
Note -Even though your partner and dependent children are not accompanying you to Canada, they are required to be considered when showing your funds.
- Educational Credential Assessment. Though it is not mandatory, if you present one, you can earn points for education under the Comprehensive Ranking System.
FSTP Canada – Perks
- The candidates’ language proficiency is not expected to be very high. Even an average IELTS score poses no difficulty for the candidates.
- A valid job offer contributes to the candidates’ CRS points.
- For FSTP candidates, the CRS cut-off is fixed to the lowest.
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program has no educational requirements.
- The FSTP is one of the best and fastest ways to obtain permanent residency in Canada.
- Upwards of 100 designated trades and occupations are qualified for Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Steps to Apply for Canada PR Under Federal Skilled Trades Program
The first step in starting up with FSTP is confirming your eligibility. To complete the task, you can seek assistance from experienced Canada immigration consultants or can take online help.
Take a Language Proficiency Test
As mentioned above, the candidates must prove adequate language skills to be eligible for FSTP. For this, you have to take an IRCC-approved language proficiency test. IELTS and CELPIP are the most common options.
Create and Submit Your Express Entry Profile
The profile must be created and submitted on the IRCC website. No charge has to be paid for the same.
Await the Decision
Every two weeks, the IRCC holds Express Entry draws. You must track your selection by continuing to follow these draws. Your Express Entry profile is valid for a year. If you do not receive an ITA within the next 12 months, you have to create a new Express Entry profile to remain in the pool.
Submit the Complete Application
Following the receipt of an ITA, you must submit the complete application for Canada PR. Usually, the application is required to be submitted within 60 days of receiving the ITA.
FSTP Application Processing Time
The processing time for FSTP applications varies from application to application, however, most applications get processed within six months time.