We are Located In:
Dreaming to Study Abroad & Settle Overseas?

Get Free Profile Assessment

    Post Study Option

    Many overseas students studying in Australia find themselves asking this question: Can I get work permit after study in Australia?  Yes. International students can stay on and work in Australia after their study in an Australian education institution.  There is a temporary visa provided by Department of Immigration and Border Protection, Australia for such student. Post study visa of Australia and the duration for which it is issued is mainly dependent on the level of qualification you have obtained.

    The Australia post study work visa was announced by Australian Government in 2013, March.

    You can obtain Australia post study work permit on temporary basis under subclass 485. Post study work visa in Australia is also referred as “485 visa Australia”.

    There are 2 types of visa are available for international students:

    • Post-Study Work Stream Visa
    • Graduate Work Stream Visa

    As it applies to all other visas, 485 visa requirements are as below:

    The applicant for post study work stream visa must be under 50 years with good health condition and should have taken English language proficiency test (IELTS) with minimum score of 6. Read more here.

    1. Post-Study Work Stream

    This visa is offered for international students who have qualification of graduation and above. Accordingly, these students can stay in Australia from 2 to 4 years’ duration.

    Prerequisites of post-study work stream visa:

    • The student must have graduated or have obtained master or doctorate from an Australian education institution not more than 6 months back.
    • Should have done academic study of at least 2 years in Australia for bachelor’s degree or higher. You may get a single or multiple degrees in this 2 years’ duration, however, that is impertinent.
    • The course of study should not have been completed in less than 16 months.
    • You must have studied a course / courses offered by CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students) and accredited Australian education providers.
    • Your first student visa ever applied to Australia should not be before November 5, 2011.

    Permitted qualifications for post study work visa:

    • Bachelor Degree
    • Bachelor (Honours) Degree
    • Masters by Coursework Degree
    • Masters(Extended) Degree
    • Masters by Research Degree
    • Doctoral Degree

    If you have graduate degree, you will get up to 2 years of time to stay on and work in Australia.

    If you have master’s degree, you can get up to 2-3 years of time, depending on your qualification (coursework / extended/ research)

    If you have obtained doctorate, you can stay on and work up to 4 years in Australia.

    What does this visa mean to you?

    With post graduate visa of Australia, you and your family can live, work, study and travel in Australia.

    2. Graduate Work Stream Visa

    Work permit after study in Australia is granted for those who have lesser than graduation degree too.

    Pre-requisites of graduate work stream visa

    • The student must have obtained certificate III, diploma, graduate diploma, trade-level certificate not more than 6 months back.
    • The academic study must have been undertaken by the student must be for at least 2 years but not less than 16 months.
    • The course / course must be offered by CRICOS and provided by accredited education providers in Australia.
    • Your first student visa ever applied to Australia should not be before November 5, 2011, when you are applying for post work visa.
    • Your obtained qualification should be in high demand list provided by SOL (Skilled Occupation List)
    • You must pass Skills Assessment in an occupation listed on SOL.
    • The qualification obtained must be related to the skills nominated from SOL.
    • Since Australia has dearth of skilled workforce in some of the industries, the student applicants having such skills are given graduate work stream visa. These visa holders should find work related to their skills.
    • You can stay and work in Australia for 18 months with graduate work stream visa.

    What does this visa mean to you?

    With post-study work visa, you and your family can live, work, study and travel in Australia.

    Acceptable Courses for Post-study Work Visa

    • The course/ courses must be registered with CRICOS
    • The course muse be successfully completed
    • The completion of the course must have result in an eligible qualification
    • The medium of instruction was English
    • The course is completed while the applicant is physically present in Australia
    • The applicant has had student visa while completing the course of study
    • The course is considered just once under Australian education requirements.

    Please note that any English language proficiency training courses or programs that you may have undertaken, will not be considered under study requirements to be eligible for work visa after study in Australia.

    How student can improve chances of gaining Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia after Study in Australia

    Many international students studying in Australia stay in the country with the hope that one day they will become permanent residents and carry on their stay in Australia for good. However students should remember that General Skilled Migration rules keep changing. This is an uncertain path and there is no guarantee to get Permanent residency after Study in Australia. On these guidelines, our intention is to provide an easy-to-understand outline of the main things that international students need to be aware about General Skilled Migration and possible ways to maximize their chances of gaining Permanent Residency (PR).

    The most common pathway for students is to get Post study work visa after completion of studies and then they can apply for General Skilled Migration to achieve Permanent Residency (PR). There is a lot of information on General Skilled Migration / Immigration / Permanent Residency (PR) on the internet. However sometimes it’s difficult to figure out about your chances for Permanent Residency (PR) and what you need to do next. Many students ask a friend who has applied before, but the rules changes so quickly that this can be dangerous. For example many students discuss about SOL list and CSOL list. However The SOL list has been replaced by the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and CSOL list has been replaced by the combined list of eligible skilled occupations.

    Summarized tips to improve chances of gaining Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia after Study in Australia:

    • Apply for Post Study work visas / Graduate Temporary Visas first, after completion of your studies.
    • Related Work Experience during Post Study work visas / Graduate Temporary Visas is most important. Work Experience before study in Australia is useful in certain circumstances.
    • Choose a course with possible outcome of occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). Next best approach is to choose course with possible outcome of occupation in a combined list of eligible skilled occupations. These lists keep changing every year. Please keep in mind your Interest and skills as well. Demand is important but Interest and skills are also important for Potential employment.
    • Make sure to choose course of 2 academic year’s duration to fulfill the requirement of study in Australia.
    • Keep improving English and IELTS Score. This is most important to increase EOI score and chances of Permanent Residency.
    • State nomination can be very advantageous for international students.
    • Students completing 2 years of study in a regional campus receive 5 extra points.
    • Keep looking for possibility of employer sponsorship as well.
    • Think about professional year if required to get enough points.
    • Use Bridging Visa wisely.
    • Understand Skill selection criteria and keep yourself update with the changes.