Post Study Option

Working in the US

When studying in the US, students have limited opportunities to work on campus and, off campus. The Designated School Official (DSO) can advise you on authorized work you can take up as a student.

However, after graduation in the USA or other countries, securing a job is currently tricky owing to the political scenario. Highly competitive candidates with sought-after skills and experience will make their mark undoubtedly.

Types of Work Permits

There are several temporary work visas that the US government offers. Each facilitates a specific period of stay and has different sets of pre-requisites. An applicant must understand the requirement and choose the best fit. The type of work, the relationship with the employer, the duration of stay are some factors that decide the type of visa.

These are some options to consider:

E2 and E1 Visas – For individuals who wish to invest in a business or engage in a trade in the US

H1B Visa – For speciality occupations

H2B Visa – For non-agricultural, skilled and non-skilled workers

Exchange Visitor Visa (J1 Visa Permit) – Individuals who are in the US for educational purposes like internships, or teaching in a university, and more.

Non-US citizens who wish to be authorised to settle in the US for work must consider being a permanent resident.

A Green card is the permit to live and work in the US for an unlimited period. EB-1, 2, 3, and 4 Green Cards are different employment-based authorizations to live in the US.

The work permit for the USA is also called an Employment Authorization Document or EAD. This is a photo identity card issued by the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Process for Getting US Work Permit

  1. A duly filled in Form I-765 must be submitted. I-765 is an application for employment authorization in the United States of America and can be downloaded from the USCIS website.
  2. Attach documents that substantiate your eligibility for work.
  3. Remit the USCIS fees by check or money order. Debit cards, credit cards, or e-transfer is allowed from banks in the US, in the case of e-filed applications.
  4. The application form with all the supporting documents can either be mailed or be submitted online.

All information about the application process and required documents are available in the Instructions for I-765 which can be viewed in the USCIS website.

You aspire to work in the US, but the processes are overwhelming! Approach Aspire Square. Legal procedures related to your travel and work in the US is our responsibility.

WhatsApp chat